Immigrant Blues, by Li-Young Lee
People have been trying to kill me since I was born,
a man tells his son, trying to explain
the wisdom of learning a second tongue.
It’s the same old story from the previous century
about my father and me.
The same old story from yesterday morning
about me and my son.
It’s called “Survival Strategies
and the Melancholy of Racial Assimilation.”
It’s called “Psychological Paradigms of Displaced Persons,”
called “The Child Who’d Rather Play than Study.”
Practice until you feel
the language inside you, says the man.
But what does he know about inside and outside,
my father who was spared nothing
in spite of the languages he used?
And me, confused about the flesh and soul,
who asked once into a telephone,
Am I inside you?
You’re always inside me, a woman answered,
at peace with the body’s finitude,
at peace with the soul’s disregard
of space and time.
Am I inside you? I asked once
lying between her legs, confused
about the body and the heart.
If you don’t believe you’re inside me, you’re not,
she answered, at peace with the body’s greed,
at peace with the heart’s bewilderment.
It’s an ancient story from yesterday evening
called “Patterns of Love in Peoples of Diaspora,”
called “Loss of the Homeplace
and the Defilement of the Beloved,”
called “I Want to Sing but I Don’t Know Any Songs.”
- lets-do-sexx reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- lets-do-sexx likes this
- fullofterrifiedangrybravado reblogged this from imnotevilimjustwrittenthatway
- odetoblack likes this
- festeromane reblogged this from fypoetry
- festeromane likes this
- your-loved reblogged this from imnotevilimjustwrittenthatway
- your-loved likes this
- imnotevilimjustwrittenthatway reblogged this from fypoetry
- suzysorensen likes this
- oddyknocked likes this
- fypoetry reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- krrnrose likes this
- underwhater likes this
- rosereddawn likes this
- electrowizardd likes this
- speakthesewords likes this
- averyauditiv likes this
- betweenpoems likes this
- tomorrowishidden reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- fascinasians likes this
- fromonesurvivortoanother posted this