The Semiotics of Cultural Appropriation (reblogable!)
I understand your issues with the Native American headdresses and such, however, I have some questions for you.I realize that dreadlocks are sometimes done for religious purposes, and that they have serious meaning in several different cultures. And I suppose that it IS cultural appropriation for a white, american girl to wear them. However…what is it that is actually wrong with this? I don’t understand, so this is a sincere question. Isn’t it sort of…racist to say that only THIS culture can appropriately wear their hair this way? Your blog has really made me consider this and think. What is your opinion?
SO HERE’S ONE WAY TO APPROACH IT, WHICH WE’LL CALL THE SEMIOTICS OF DREADLOCKS. ‘SEMIOTICS’ IS THE STUDY OF SIGNS AND THEIR MEANINGS, LIKE CHEMISTRY IS THE STUDY OF CHEMICALS AND STUFF.
SO A LONG TIME AGO, PAPA SAUSSURE, ‘FATHER OF MODERN LINGUISTICS’ (WHITE MAN, OBVI) SAID THAT A ‘SIGN’ IS COMPOSED OF A ‘SIGNIFIER’ (THE THING YOU USE TO SAY SOMETHING, LIKE A WORD OR AN ICON OR WHATEVER) AND A ‘SIGNIFIED’ (THE THING YOU’RE TRYING TO SAY, LIKE THE IDEA OF STOPPING) THAT IN FACT, THE ‘MEANING’ OF A SIGN DOESN’T LIVE IN THE SIGNIFIER ITSELF - ‘STOP’ - AND NEITHER DOES IT LIVE IN THE SIGNIFIED ITSELF - THE IDEA ‘STOP RIGHT HERE OR SHIT’S GOING TO GO DOWN’. A REAL ‘SIGN’ SORT OF JUST CHILLS IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE TWO. THAT IS, A STOP SIGN ISN’T A SIGN IF NO ONE KNOWS THAT IT’S TRYING TO ‘SIGNIFY’ THE IDEA ‘STOP, GUY!’ IF YOU CAN’T READ A SIGN, IT MIGHT AS WELL BE RANDOM SCRIBBLES IN THE SAND (THINGS LIKE THAT ARE CALLED ‘ASEMIC,’ MEANING, ‘MEANINGLESS.’ WHOAH). ALSO, JUST LIKE YOU CAN’T THINK OF SIGNIFIERS JUST CHILLING BY THEMSELVES, NEITHER CAN YOU THINK OF SIGNIFIEDS JUST RELAXING, BECAUSE TO CONVEY MEANING, YOU NEED LANGUAGE. YOU CAN’T JUST HAVE IDEAS, YOU HAVE IDEAS THROUGH LANGUAGE. OK?
SO, ON TO DREADLOCKS. ‘DREADLOCKS’ ARE REALLY JUST A COMPLEX SIGN, IN THIS CASE, MADE OF HAIR. BUT JUST LIKE A STOP SIGN, DREADLOCKS AREN’T JUST HAIR, THEY’RE ALSO THE MEANING OF HAIR. FOR EXAMPLE, A DREAD RASTAWOMAN DOESN’T JUST HAVE ‘MESSY’ OR ‘COOL’ HAIR. SHE HAS A RIGHTEOUS SIGN OF HER DEDICATION TO JAH RASTAFARI. HER DREADLOCKS ARE NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT THE MEANING THEY CARRY. NOW, MEANING IS IMBUED WITH HISTORY - THINK OF THE CONFEDERATE FLAG - AND THAT IS ONE OF THE POINTS FUCK YEAH CULTURAL APPROPRIATION IS TRYING TO MAKE: YOU CAN’T JUST TAKE A CULTURAL SIGN AND ACT AS IF IT HAS NO HISTORY, AS IF A HEADDRESS OR DREADLOCKS JUST EXISTS ‘IN ITSELF.’ BECAUSE IF YOU DO, YOU’RE DOING A VERY REAL KIND OF VIOLENCE, YOU’RE TRYING TO BREAK A SIGN, YOU’RE TRYING TO BREAK MEANING. AND THESE MEANINGS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM RELIGIOUS DEVOTION, TO FAMILY LINKS, TO LINEAGE, TO HONOR, MOURNING, AND SO ON. CULTURE LIVES IN SIGNS, SO WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO DENY THE MEANING OF SIGNS, THEY’RE TRYING TO KILL THAT SIGN, AND SO TRY TO KILL A LITTLE BIT OF CULTURE. IF YOU TRY AND APPROPRIATE SIGNS, YOU’RE TRYING TO LEAVE A CULTURE OF PURE SIGNIFIEDS, AND NO SIGNIFIERS. HOW IS A CULTURE GOING TO SIGNIFY IF YOU TRY AND TAKE ALL ITS SIGNIFIERS? AND ALSO, HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO SIGNIFY, IF YOU HAVE ALL SIGNIFIERS, BUT NO SIGNIFIEDS?
NOW, OF COURSE, SIGNS DON’T JUST HAVE ONE MEANING, THEY MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS. FOR EXAMPLE, THE INVERTED CHRISTIAN CROSS IS OFTEN UNDERSTOOD TO BE SATANIC. BUT IN A SCHOLASTIC CATHOLIC CONTEXT, THE INVERTED CROSS IS THE SIGN OF ST. PETER, AND SIGNIFIES HUMILITY EVEN IN THE FACE OF DEATH. OR THE SWASTIKA, WHICH IS A SACRED SYMBOL FOR TONS OF FOLKS AROUND THE WORLD, BUT WHICH GOT MADE A SHITSHOW OUT OF BY THE FUCKING NAZIS.
SO WHAT WE’RE SAYING ISN’T THAT THERE’S ONLY ONE WAY TO WEAR HAIR, OR THAT ONLY SOME ‘RACES’ CAN USE CERTAIN SYMBOLS. WHAT WE’RE ARGUING IS FOR AN UNDERSTANDING OF CULTURAL SIGNS AS REAL HEAVY SHIT, AND FOR A WAY OF BEING THAT TRIES TO READ SIGNS IN THEIR CONTEXT, IN THEIR FULL SIGNIFICATION, EVEN THE SAD, UNCOMFORTABLE PARTS, THE GENOCIDAL PARTS, THE SLAVERY PARTS, THE TRAIL OF TEARS PARTS, AND ALL THE PARTS THAT MAKE YOU RETHINK NOT ONLY YOUR HAIRSTYLE, BUT ALSO YOUR PLACE IN HISTORY AND YOUR ACCOUNTABILITY TO OTHERS.
I saw someone ask for the link to this earlier. It’s brilliant and relevant as always.
One of the most concise and clear explanations i’ve seen of semiotics and symbols. Way better than some of the philosophy texts i’ve read…
- allacharade likes this
- tassledown likes this
- scarloat-reblog reblogged this from fuckyeahculturalappropriation
- drawinwolf likes this
- laagrado likes this
- haha-killme likes this
- gta-rollergirl reblogged this from fuckyeahculturalappropriation
- gta-rollergirl likes this
- grumpyforever likes this
- oberlinsic likes this
- tangledndark likes this
- chubbyslenderloris likes this
- eyebrowgoddess likes this
- ohnoshesarejecter likes this
- eilians reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- hlampko reblogged this from tofuboots
- hlampko likes this
- oldlejans likes this
- idle-chaos likes this
- eatallthefoodx3 reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- superfemme-inist likes this
- hispanasian likes this
- rocko-socko reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- allons-y-nightvale likes this
- thebisweptualbisexual reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- thebisweptualbisexual likes this
- pajamasandearlgrey likes this
- roseannabanana likes this
- dawnoftheloser reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- strange-little-orange likes this
- ghosturtlerika likes this
- sartietingles likes this
- tentaclequeen likes this
- tizmt likes this
- apatheticsexlife likes this
- of-themountains likes this
- of-themountains reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- ytpeople likes this
- tasteofadeadsun reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- tylerthelatteboy reblogged this from hawtistic
- resmc likes this
- sssooffttt reblogged this from williamjh
- williamjh reblogged this from spookypatedlyyours and added:
- williamjh likes this
- bigdarla likes this
- spookypatedlyyours reblogged this from hawtistic
- morecolorsthanmysockdrawer likes this
- feedingonwind reblogged this from cuntofboo
- alycetrelawny reblogged this from cuntofboo