[general tw: discussion on cissexism and racism] I would really fucking love it if we stopped idolizing cis-feminists who think being trans-inclusive is bad for cis women.
I really fucking would. The latest in this line of cis-feminists I’ve noticed is Raven, aka unknowable woman. By asking for trans-inclusive language we’re being mean to women.
This is her response to people being upset with a poster that had a uterus on it and a slogan about women:
God fucking forbid women have one thing of their own in this world. We can’t write about ourselves, we can’t speak about ourselves, we can’t advocate for ourselves even within our own so-called “social justice” spheres without someone telling us to shut up about our own experiences.
That’s right folks, us mean ol’ trans folk are silencing women. How bout that! Even though trans folks like me are active and vocal in the pro-choice movement, which benefits cis women, we really should just shut up.
But, no, we have to love her because she got into a battle on twitter with Ryking. And I mentioned this to someone once, that I distrust cis-women in social justice, feminist, and pro-choice environments more than cis-men sometimes, because when cis women pull the ‘we’re being marginalized by you!’ card a lot more people listen. And I got called a misogynist. Which, incidentally, is apparently what we automatically are because we don’t want people telling us that a uterus makes you a woman.
This stuff, this is why Die Cis Scum is a phrase that exists. Because if we dare to talk, we’re silencing women. And when they say ‘women’, you bet your ass they only mean cis women.
Fuck cis people man, I am fucking done with your shit.
I love (and by love, I mean hate) how these cis feminists are always implying that anyone who isn’t a woman is oppressing them, because non-woman always equals male, apparently.
And the justification of this cissexist erasing shit is that cis-woman-specific language is “needed” to point out that these anti-choicers are motivated by their hatred of cis women. Or in other words, “They aren’t thinking about anyone else, so why should we?” Like because cis women are the targets, we shouldn’t acknowledge who else is affected. Their needs are more important.
The funny thing is, the vast majority of anti choice legislation is actually specifically targeting and affecting women of color. But these white cis feminists completely ignore that fact. The face of the pro choice movement is white, white, white. So their whole “it’s about hating and killing WOMEN, not just PEOPLE” logic falls fucking flat. They cling to that language not because it most accurately describes the target demographic, but because it makes the debate all about them and their white cis needs.
(And it really sickens me that people finally did something about Ryking when he went after a really well known white cis feminist blogger, despite all of his past harassment of women, especially women of color. But they deny, deny, deny this cuz whiteness has nothing to do with it, oh no.)
like i said yesterday, there’s a reason why “feminists” these days know Jessica Valenti more than Audre Lorde. it’s shit like this that caters to middle class white women. Andrea Smith calls this out in Conquest (which seriously has like, a laser eye on so many feminist issues). WoC didn’t get abortion rights after Roe v Wade, they were still too poor to afford it; the medicalization of abortion only exacerbated that problem. WoC care about contraception, being not-poor enough to feed their kids, and basic health care that is affordable. White woman feminism is about a capitalistic career track, not having to have kids, and getting into the white man’s world. Meanwhile, Women of Color are just trying to survive.
- intheleaves likes this
- autie-turtle-cat likes this
- domestic-theatre likes this
- mylifeasafeminista likes this
- sophiepierre reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- uncommondialogue likes this
- lokiskywalker reblogged this from massacregoddess
- cptnsassy reblogged this from massacregoddess and added:
- massacregoddess reblogged this from autisticweirdo
- delicatemold likes this
- grajing likes this
- 15birds reblogged this from cydandthat and added:
- amydentata likes this
- cielito-lindo reblogged this from prolongedeyecontact
- fatmf reblogged this from impromptuonedykedanceparty
- impromptuonedykedanceparty reblogged this from fivelettered
- splitsplat likes this
- fridayfelts likes this
- a-positive likes this
- holyfuckmeinthemouth reblogged this from philosophy-of-praxis
- athenadelchuco reblogged this from prolongedeyecontact
- fracturedrefuge likes this
- aragingquiet likes this
- peayeahknow likes this
- fastestcatalive likes this
- ilikeyzeepies reblogged this from prolongedeyecontact
- pixyled reblogged this from prolongedeyecontact
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- oddquirksonly likes this
- vilegoblindaughter reblogged this from waitingtocollide and added:
- waitingtocollide reblogged this from bittergrapes
- willcosplayforfood likes this
- punkpedagogy reblogged this from philosophy-of-praxis and added:
- caseyvastardis reblogged this from sanityscraps and added:
- understandingghosts reblogged this from fivelettered
- understandingghosts likes this
- fivelettered reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- icecoldangie likes this
- icebox--plums reblogged this from fuzzyhorns and added:
- see-reverse-side likes this
- carvedpumpkin likes this
- crapitalists reblogged this from philosophy-of-praxis
- needalifesaver likes this
- amberaanensen likes this
- clatterandclank likes this
- thefirstgaypridewasariot likes this
- ashleyrealitymurphy reblogged this from theoceanandthesky
- trollny-stark likes this