Survivor symbol or signal?
I was talking to Toranse earlier, and we were both lamenting how there isn’t some kind of safe signal for people who are surviving.
An example: back in the day when the internet was not as popular, and before eating disorders became very well-known, people with Anorexia would wear red bracelets as a signal to others that they shared a similar struggle. I actually had a red bracelet once, but I lost it. I think the color was blue for Bulimia? These particular symbols have lost a lot of their currency in recent years, though.
Another example is the Ace of Spades ring to signal that someone is asexual.
One big benefit of symbols like these is that it is often dangerous or risky to come out to a random stranger. So the symbol helps remove that doubt and make it safer. Other times, just seeing that helps you feel less alone, even if you don’t talk to them.
Anyway, I wanted to know— what if there was some kind of symbol for people surviving sexual abuse or other kinds of abuse? What would it be? I think it should be something very plain and simple— easy enough to brush off as coincidence if asked by an outsider, but clear enough to be noticed by an insider.
- latexsocks reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother and added:
- supersandys-space said:Way to make me weep, Sage! I will never cease to be amazed and humbled by the acceptance/promotion of my little-idea-turned-big-dream. <3<3<3
- rapstarwife reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother and added:
- mysurvivortruths reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother and added:
- mysurvivortruths likes this
- athousandsweetkissies likes this
- lachatteferoce reblogged this from honeyonbeez
- honeyonbeez reblogged this from bittergrapes
- sparklyeevee reblogged this from bittergrapes
- loversfade likes this
- soilrockslove answered:Would it be weird/missing the point to have a color for psych abuse? or would that just go under black?
- jacktryoshka likes this
- grimdarktome likes this
- alooroti likes this
- bittergrapes reblogged this from jacktryoshka and added:
- n-a-k-e-d likes this
- reolthalthor likes this
- jacktryoshka reblogged this from bittergrapes and added:
- mygayshoes likes this
- arbitraryweakness answered:Well, I know that the whole ribbons concept there are colors that specify certain concepts, and go as specific as to what kind of abuse.
- devildogsmonkey likes this
- ahsosha likes this
- thevoxbox likes this
- horcelain answered:I’m so into this! I don’t have any idea to contribute though…
- horcelain likes this
- awritersruminations likes this
- bongripsandbubblebaths likes this
- delicatelydestructive likes this
- atalantapendrag answered:Like a penannular brooch?
- thetalkingdoors answered:Broken circle is good! I like the idea of breaking the cycle of abuse. Just my contribution :-) that would make a neat tattoo man :-)
- fromonesurvivortoanother reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother and added:
- hairypitsandtits likes this
- saucymerbabe reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother and added:
- musingsofagirlcalledrain likes this
- eyelash likes this
- oneof300million answered:Great idea. I don’t have a suggestion yet, but love the idea.
- wreathofkhan answered:What about a necklace with a piece of wood on it. Just a simple thing broken off a tree and tied or glued to fishing line. Simple to make.
- writeoutoflove reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- dumplingbunny likes this