on age and the Sandy Hook shooting
[content warning: child sexual abuse, mass shootings]
we have a conflicting narrative in this culture— kids are precious and should be protected at the same time that they are objects for our entertainment.
a lot of people say that the problem is we don’t protect our kids enough. but i think it’s a problem with not treating our kids like human beings. everyone is mourning the death of these children, while at the same time we are starving, even bloodthirsty, for interviews with the traumatized survivors— kids who don’t even know how to verbalize what just happened to them.
again and again, we’ve had nationwide scandals on child sexual abuse— the boy scouts, the catholic church, and penn state. it has become clear to me that we have a problem with age. in all of these cases, we have children being seen as objects to be abused. then when they finally gather the courage to speak out, they are re-traumatized as the people around them throw disbelief in their faces. children cannot possibly be trustworthy, honest, or reliable, people say. not in the face of these adults with their age, social clout, and perfect moralities. translation: children are not human.
maybe this massacre was worse than almost all of the others because it’s easier to kill subjects that you don’t consider human. it’s a lot easier to hurt someone who can’t defend themselves verbally. it’s much easier to hurt someone who has been considered less human than everyone else.
and let’s not forget the racialized component here, either. when Trayvon Martin, a 17 year old boy, is shot in cold blood, media outlets call him a “young man” while his mom cries about losing her baby. when a 20 year old white man kills twenty children, we call him a kid.
age is important here. how we treat our kids, and how human we consider them, is very important.
edit: i got the age wrong. Ryan, the falsely accused brother, was 24. The actual shooter, Adam, was 20.
- spbell likes this
- eisenbergandelephants likes this
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- accelgors likes this
- inuyashainterpretations likes this
- live-from-purgatorio likes this
- splash-the-cat reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- medalline likes this
- amypayme likes this
- pocochina reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- admiralmackbar reblogged this from lostintrafficlights
- admiralmackbar likes this
- its-inthestars reblogged this from knittingandsljivovica
- hoola121 reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug and added:
- taylormade93 reblogged this from thebreezecool
- rapstarwife reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- knittingandsljivovica reblogged this from karnythia
- anotherwordformyth likes this
- blackandwhitestriped likes this
- jenasiuk likes this
- victorianaaa reblogged this from karnythia
- seetobe reblogged this from karnythia
- a-random-story likes this
- thebreezecool reblogged this from thempress
- shattertheuniverse likes this
- pembegul reblogged this from lostintrafficlights
- moonlite-suspenders likes this
- thempress reblogged this from karnythia
- thewindbeneathyourweave likes this
- lostintrafficlights reblogged this from karnythia
- lostintrafficlights likes this
- crazylordofcats reblogged this from karnythia
- crazylordofcats likes this
- goddessofnapsandcoils reblogged this from karnythia
- angelsscream reblogged this from karnythia
- bitterseafigtree reblogged this from karnythia
- rootsbooksmagic reblogged this from karnythia
- mikroblogolas likes this
- anothergoth reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- thecoffeebreaklife likes this
- themiserablebeauty likes this
- fusspup likes this
- goddess-of-somethingorother reblogged this from karnythia
- starkidinvasion reblogged this from karnythia
- boygeorgemichaelbluth reblogged this from karnythia
- servmeservabote likes this
- wordstomeawhisper likes this
- thingsstingshouldsing reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- decafrabbit likes this